Date:      Fri, 2 Jul 110 00:03:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Dennis <jimd@mistery.mcafee.com>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        e9203125@pegasus.cpd.unb.br, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netware & Free

> On Mon, 1 Jul 1996, Alex Antao wrote:
>
> >   Where can I find a program that enable mount a directory on Unix for
> > Netware 4.1 clients pc's ?
>
> Say what?
> Mount a Netware disk on a Unix box?  Nope.
> Make a Unix box a Netware server?  www.netcon.com.

	Alex,

	Do you mean to export part of your Unix filesystem to netware
	clients (such that they could access it using IPX client software)
	or do you mean to export it and have a Netware server mount it
	(so that it would appear as a netware volume on an existing server)
	or do you want to take a physical disk, with a netware filesystem
	on it and mount that under Unix, or do you want to mount a netware
	server/volume from your Unix box to allow users/processes on that
	host to access Netware stuff.

	There are many solutions to most of these scenarios -- some of them
	even overlap.  The only one of these that is not possible (to my
	knowledge) is any sort of direct mounting of a Netware filesystem
	on a local physical drive -- Novell has been exceedingly protective
	of it's internal filesystem structures.

	Export Unix filesystem to Netware clients:

		Linux -- look for 'mars' in the Linux software map.
		Other brands (of *ix): see if there is a port of the
		  Netware for Unix that is still available for your brand.

	Export Unix filesystem to Netware servers:

		By the NFS NLM package from Novell or the equivalent.

	Mount Netware filesystems under Unix directory tree:

		Linux -- look for 'ncpfs' (free) or get the Caldera
		   CND (Network Desktop) distribution which includes
		   bindery and NDS client support.  The key developers
		   at Caldera were engineers in the advanced research
		   group at Novell before Ray Noorda left them.  They have
		   lots of info about the inner workings of NCP (netware core
		   protocols) and the licenses to use that knowlege in
		   Caldera's products.  Caldera's team also contributed some
		   of the IPX code back to the Linux community (in the spirit
		   of the GPL under which they're using it)

		Use the NFS NLM package (so your netware server exports
		volumes under NFS protocols).

	Note that most of the free/low cost options are Linux-centric.
	Caldera desktop can be had for about $100 (US) -- and their
	big applications suites is less than $500 (comes with commercial
	spreadsheet (Nexus?), WordPerfect, and a load of other stuff that
	I don't use).  I've got some people upstairs using ncpfs with
	moderate success (some complain that the performance seems lacking
	and they sometimes experience "glitches" -- but for convenient
	interactive use it seems to fill the bill (I just wouldn't try to
	use it in mission and time critical applications yet).  One of
	my boxes runs Caldera.  I've never had the slightest problem
	with access Netware file servers under it.  I havent' tried any
	things special yet (re-exporting the mounted NCP directory via
	NFS for example) -- all I do is use scripts to copy files
	from the mount point to a staging area -- where rdist picks them
	up and distributes them to the FreeBSD servers.

Jim Dennis,
former System Administrator,
McAfee Associates