Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 1999 14:43:22 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Richard M. Neswold" <rneswold@mcs.net>
To:        ESPO247@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ed0 Device Time out

On Mon, 14 Jun 1999 ESPO247@aol.com wrote:

> I keep getting a device timeout on two different systems (one running
> 2.2.5 and the other running 3.2). I have the IRQ set at 5, and nothing
> else is set for that IRQ in my kernel as far as I know. The NIC is a
> 3C503. The card is detected and all goes well at boot.
>
> Is there some sort of jumper on the card that needs to be set, or some
> sort of software I need to run to configure the card itself more? Or is
> it something else I'm doing wrong?

If the I/O address is set correctly, the card will be "detected" and "all
will go well at boot" -- regardless of whether the IRQ is set properly.
I've had probe messages indicate the card was detected, but still had to
correct the IRQ before the timeout messages would go away. Also, I get
timeout messages if I don't have a cable connected to the card.

Hope this helps...

  Rich