Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 2002 23:40:02 -0400
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bschellenberger@nc.rr.com>
To:        Holt Grendal <holtor@yahoo.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unloading Kernel Modules

On Friday 12 July 2002 10:33 pm, Holt Grendal wrote:
| Hi,
|
| My kernal has these modules loaded:
| > kldstat
|
| Id Refs Address    Size     Name
|  1    3 0xc0100000 1bb548   kernel
|  2    1 0xc5b8d000 14000    linux.ko

That's probably because you enabled linux emulation way back when you
installed the system, and you have this in your /etc/rc.conf:

linux_enable="YES"

|  7    1 0xc7bee000 3000     vn.ko

Are you using a vn device?
That ones not on my system so I'd wager that you are using vn, in which case
you need it.

| I am unsure how they got there..
|
| Is it safe to Unload them or will this Crash the system?

If it's unsafe to unload them, the kernel should refuse your request to do
so, and kldunload will complain, so there's no harm in trying.

WHy would you want?  Between the two of them they are taking up a whooping
total of 92k.  That was a big deal when memory was counted in k, but most
peole now have a least 64M of RAM, and frequently more.  At 64M of RAM, these
modules are chewing up 0.l4% of your memory.

Does it really matter what happens to the last 0.14% of your memory?