Date:      Sun, 14 Jan 2007 19:49:29 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        linimon@lonesome.com, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org, rwatson@FreeBSD.org, blackend@FreeBSD.org, wes@opensail.org
Subject:   Re: Slides, papers, etc.

On 2007-01-15 00:09, Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> bl> gker> Now, if we can find a nice way to attach a nicely designed,
> bl> gker> professional looking CSS stylesheet to these slide
> bl> gker> collections, that would be great!  If we can also get
> bl> gker> someone who is experienced with DocBook/XML-slides to write
> bl> gker> up a short "Internationalization Cookbook for FreeBSD
> bl> gker> slides" tutorial, we would really have something going :)
> bl> gker>
> bl>
> bl> Maybe Murray can help a bit on this (Cced).  I'm not against the
> bl> fact we also could use Beamer for some presentations with the
> bl> advantage of a very nice rendering, easy to learn, text source
> bl> files, pdf rendering and buildable with the current full docproj
> bl> installation.  On another hand I know OOo can export files to
> bl> DocBook but I don't know if it can be directly useable in our
> bl> DocBook/XML-slides environment.
>
> Well, what do you think about simply importing FreeBSD-related
> presentation materials into the doc tree for the moment like OpenBSD
> project does?

That's an excellent idea, and I would really like to see it happen.

I was only worried that this would 'bloat' the CVS repository, if we
started importing large collections of binary files.

> I often think we should have such a collection of presentations in our
> web site if possible, too, but often forget the URLs or get "404 not
> found" if I find them.
>
> I think we can store them into doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/slides in the
> original format and create the "collection of presentations" page.
> Converting them to another format is generally difficult and it is
> not a good idea to force the authors to use DocBook-slides or so.

Agreed.  "Forcing" people to convert existing material puts additional
work on them, and it's not a good thing unless we have a sufficiently
large set of benefits to gain from the conversion to DocBook/XML-slides.

I am not sufficiently experienced with DocBook/slides to decide if the
additional work is too much.  If it is, we may as well bite the bullet
and commit the originals into CVS "as is".