Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 10:59:11 -0400
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>
To:        Emmanuel DELOGET <pixel@DotCom.FR>
Cc:        Tommy Hallgren <thallgren@yahoo.com>, FreeBSD Hackers Mail List <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
Subject:   Re: Adding desktop support

On Wed, Apr 28, 1999 at 11:38:52AM +0200, Emmanuel DELOGET wrote:

> 	So I really think that it is better to hack the wm - or, if you
> 	prefer, to create gnome/whatever proggies to handle this - than to
> 	hack the fbsd kernel.

So you hack this window manager, and then you hack that window
manager, and then a new window manager is released, etc..  And then
the poor users ask why rm(1) is a trash can in fvwm but is a pair of
scissors in enlightenment.

I think the idea is cool.  The only concerns that strike me at the
moment are for future extensibility.  This is really the sort of
thing that belongs in the filesystem, either as some sort of "extended
attributes", or whatever.

Being in the filesystem would also solve the problem with letting
individual users modify the icon associated with a file.  The user
would simply overlay their own filesystem ontop of the system's
/usr/bin and modify attributes as appropriate.

Other future extensibility considerations include what others have
mentioned:
	- large programs feeping creature programs that perform
multiple tasks, each deserving of a different icon.
	- associating larger/smaller icons with programs.
	- some people have expressed some thoughts on MIME.  Whatever
they say.  :)

So long as the appropriate libicon interface is developed that will
allow for smooth integration of these features when FreeBSD 11.2 is
released on Febuary 27, 2007, then I would love to see standardized
icons.

--
This .sig is not innovative, witty, or profund.