Date:      Mon, 18 Mar 1996 08:59:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Shady <rls@server.id.net>
To:        taob@io.org (Brian Tao)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mirroring ftp.freebsd.org effectively

>     I've got mirror 2.8 installed and running here, but I'm having a
> little trouble getting consistent results with the FreeBSD archives.
> I see a lot of "Not symlinking ..." errors and empty directories.
> Could someone send me their package entry for FreeBSD?  Mine is
> currently:
>
> package=freebsd
>         comment=The FreeBSD Project
>         use_files=true
>         site=ftp.freebsd.org
>         remote_dir=/pub/FreeBSD/
>         local_dir+/.1/freebsd/
>         exclude_patt=.*/.mirror
>         do_deletes=false
>
>     I use "mirror -d -pfreebsd /root/mirror/ftp.io.org" to update the
> local archives.  Should I be doing something different?
>
>     On a related note, is there an established procedure for mirroring
> the Web site?  In particular, I'd like to have the mailing list
> archives and search engine available locally, just for kicks.  :)

I'm not sure what the "official" word on mirroring the FreeBSD archives
is, but 'mirror' puts a pretty heavy load on the server it's mirroring.
>From my understanding, it would be much better to use SUP to mirror
the archives (I know it's available for the source trees, I'm not sure
about the binary trees though).

	-- Rob
===

                             Innovative Data Services
                          Serving South-Eastern Michigan
        Internet Service Provider / Hardware Sales / Consulting Services
       Voice: (810)855-0404 / Fax: (810)855-3268 / Web: http://www.id.net