Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 1996 16:50:05 -0600
From:      Hal Snyder <hal@vailsys.com>
To:        Randy DuCharme <randyd@nconnect.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as dedicated router

Randy DuCharme wrote:

> I have to provide a low-cost, high-performance routing solution.  I'm
> wondering how FBSD would work in this scenario.  I've never tried to do
> this with FBSD and don't have too much time for experimentation in this
> case.  Has anyone done this???  Here's
> the scenario.....

The scenario you describe should be quite amenable to FreeBSD as a
router.  We run several FreeBSD systems here doing local routing.  I
like the SMC PCI combo boards that have two ether ports on one card.
FreeBSD just stays up 24x7, no annoying crashes like NT.

A big win with FreeBSD is you can use tcpdump to sniff problems on the
LAN, fire up a real live DNS server whenever you want, use that idle
CD-ROM drive in the FreeBSD box as a Samba share and put e.g., the MS
TechNet CD in to try to chase down those NT crash bugs, turn on ipfw and
log funny packets, etc.  The list goes on and on.  Like 20 x the
functionality of a proprietary router.

At Siemens, we used a lowly 486SX-50 or so with FreeBSD to route between
segments.  It was more than up to the task, with about 30 hosts locally
going through the FreeBSD router to the WAN.

Do it!