Date:      Tue, 17 Aug 2010 16:34:29 +0100
From:      RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What's the difference between portupgrade and portmaster ?

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 09:46:50 +0200
David DEMELIER <demelier.david@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2010/6/1 Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>:

> The differences are that portupgrade use a database, it's written in
> ruby while portmaster is only one shell script. That's why I really
> prefere portmaster that also have zsh completion and is faster.

Am I the only one to regard portmaster's lack of a failsafe install as
a significant problem?

All three tools will make a back-up of an installed package before
deinstalling it and installing the new version. If this fails
Portupgrade and portmanager will immediately restore the backup usually
with no more disruption that a normal upgrade.

Portmaster leaves you to restore the backup manually which is a minor
hassle if you notice it immediately, a problem if you find out the hard
way, and a potential nightmare if you miss it altogether.