Date:      Sat, 23 Jun 2001 13:21:23 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        tyler spivey <tspivey8@home.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /var full, what to do?

tyler spivey <tspivey8@home.com> types:
> if you only have a 1 gig hd, just put the whole thing on / (
> anybody else have a better idea?)
> that is what i do, i hate auto partitions. if its over 1k-cylls,
> then... dunno, never had that prob.
> i currently have the whole five gigs on /, easier to manage imo.

For workstations, I do two things different. One is that I split /home
out, so that I can do clean system installs without having to restore
it. You have to decide how big that is going to be, though. I guess if
it's so small that you can put it on a floppy, there's not point.

The other thing is to split /usr out, as everything on it is built
from sources. The system configuration and description files are all
in /etc and /var, so they stay on /, which I back up regularly. 60 to
100 meg is enough for that. If you aren't going to back up /, this is
pretty pointless as well.

	<mike