Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 21:20:08 -0600
From:      freebsd <freebsd@hobbydump.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   securelevel AND ipfilter

Does anyone know why I cannot change my ipfilter rules while in multi-user mode
at kern_securelevel=2.

Here is the settings in my rc.conf.
  kern_securelevel_enable="YES"
  kern_securelevel="2"

I'm using a GENERIC kernel with these mods.
  options         IPFILTER
  options         IPFILTER_LOG
  options         IPFILTER_DEFAULT_BLOCK

When reading man securelevel I understand it to be disallowed at level 3 not 2.
> 2     Highly secure mode - same as secure mode, plus disks may not be
>       opened for writing (except by mount(2)) whether mounted or not.
>       This level precludes tampering with filesystems by unmounting them,
>       but also inhibits running newfs(8) while the system is multi-user.
>
>       In addition, kernel time changes are restricted to less than or
>       equal to one second.  Attempts to change the time by more than this
>       will log the message ``Time adjustment clamped to +1 second''.
>
> 3     Network secure mode - same as highly secure mode, plus IP packet
>       filter rules (see ipfw(8) and ipfirewall(4)) cannot be changed and
>       dummynet(4) configuration cannot be adjusted.

I'm running the command ipf -Fa -f /etc/ipf.rules and I get output that looks like.
ioctl(SIOCIPFFL): Operation not permitted
etc...

Thanks for the help,
Sheldon Jones