Date:      Thu, 10 Jul 2008 00:23:48 +0200
From:      Wolfgang Zenker <wolfgang@lyxys.ka.sub.org>
To:        Pedro Giffuni <pfgshield-freebsd@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-i18n@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: more internationalization options in /etc/login.conf please

Hi,

* Pedro Giffuni <pfgshield-freebsd@yahoo.com> [080709 21:10]:
> I don't usually play much with the i18n stuff mainly because it's difficult to set up. In the default /etc/login.conf there is an example for Russian, perhaps we could have more of those for other languages?

> Here is an example for italian and I'd be interested in having entries for spanish an french too:

> italiano|Account Utenti Italiani:\
>         :charset=LANG it_IT.ISO8859-15:\
>         :lang=LANG it_IT.ISO8859-15:\
>         :tc=default:

that is what I use for my german users:

german|German Users Accounts:\
        :charset=UTF-8:\
        :lang=de_DE.UTF-8:\
        :tc=default:

I have been using UTF-8 encoding for about a year now everywhere;
combined with an xterm using a good Unicode font and vim I have not
seen problems with that and see much less cases of unreadable garbage
in files. I use the font from x11-fonts/dejavu starting xterm with
parameter -fa 'DejaVu Sans Mono'.

Wolfgang