Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 2000 16:04:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   tcsh bug

Not to create another argument but tcsh does not appear to be csh :-(

With -current as of the weekend.  I now have tcsh as the root shell.
I noticed something "strange", my history only displays the time, for example

dual# history
     1  13:42
     2  13:42
     3  13:42
     4  13:42
     5  13:42
     6  13:43
     7  13:43
     8  13:43
     9  13:43
    10  13:43
    11  15:35
    12  15:35
    13  15:36
    14  15:37
    15  15:37
    16  15:39
    17  15:39
    18  15:39
   ... etc ...

However, history does work with ! for example on the same machine right
after the above history command:
  dual# !ech
  echo $SHELL
  /bin/csh
  dual#
After I did a "make world" I also did a "make distribution" in /usr/src/etc
to make sure I had default files.

Here is the results of env:
  dual# env
  DISPLAY=770z.whistle.com:0.0
  PRINTER=lp
  TERM=xterm
  PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/root/bin
  MAIL=/var/mail/root
  BLOCKSIZE=K
  FTP_PASSIVE_MODE=YES
  SHELL=/bin/csh
  HOME=/root
  LOGNAME=root
  USER=root
  HOSTTYPE=FreeBSD
  VENDOR=intel
  OSTYPE=FreeBSD
  MACHTYPE=i386
  SHLVL=1
  PWD=/root
  GROUP=wheel
  HOST=dual
  REMOTEHOST=192.168.1.30
  EDITOR=vi
  PAGER=more
  dual#

Here is the results from set:
  dual# set
  _       env

  addsuffix
  argv    ()
  cwd     /root
  dirstack        /root
  echo_style      bsd
  edit
  filec
  gid     0
  group   wheel
  history 100
  home    /root
  loginsh
  mail    /var/mail/root
  owd
  path    (/sbin /bin /usr/sbin /usr/bin /usr/games /usr/local/sbin /usr/local/bin /usr/X11R6/bin /root/bin)
  prompt  dual#
  prompt2 %R?
  prompt3 CORRECT>%R (y|n|e|a)?
  shell   /bin/csh
  shlvl   1
  status  0
  tcsh    6.09.01
  term    xterm
  tty     ttyp0
  uid     0
  user    root
  version tcsh 6.09.01 (Astron) 2000-01-14 (i386-intel-FreeBSD) options 8b,nls,dl,al,sm,rh,color
  dual#

This is from the root login.

Please help ... I have trouble remembering what I type and the way I use
history is to cut'n'paste via X.  It's works and I don't have to
remember various things that change when I'm forced to change shell so
please no philosophy lessons.

Doug A.