Date:      Sat, 23 Dec 2000 15:26:38 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Jason Halbert" <res02jw5@gte.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mail Servers

Jason Halbert <res02jw5@gte.net> types:
> Here's my goal:
> I have a [small, I guess] server.  I give out shells to my friends and
> let them host their web sites on it and let them use it for storing
> files and such.  I thought it would be cool to have my own mail
> servers and stuff so everyone that has a shell could have an e-mail at
> my domian.
>
> Instead of having to add the host of everyone that has a shell and
> allowing them to relay, since most of them are on dial-up, is it
> possible to require a username and password auth. for them to send
> mail to the SMTP server?  That way only authorized users with a shell
> would have access and then by default when I add a user they are ready
> to go without me needing to modify files?

Why bother having them send mail to your SMTP server? Especially when
it's becoming common for ISPs to disallow clients to access any
external SMTP server as an anti-spam measure.

Instead, have them send mail through their ISPs SMTP server, configure
their UMA to use their email address in your domain, and read mail
from your pop server. You might also show them how to set up a forward
from your server to their ISP, so they don't have to check them both.

	<mike
Independent WWW/Unix/FreeBSD consultant,	email for more information.