Date:      Mon, 05 Aug 1996 22:48:34 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
To:        "Robert J. Strickler" <rstrickler@thrunet.net>
Cc:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Support for drive >8M

"Robert J. Strickler" wrote in message ID
<01BB82CC.048B5500@arcturus.thrunet.net>:
> We are looking to attach a 9G Seagate drive and a 20G Mylex RAID "drive" to a

> FreeBSD supported SCSI controller.

> SGI's efs format only supports 8G partitions and this has made us
> wary of large disk capacities and Un*xes.

> Will FreeBSD support these capacities as a single 9G and 20G partitions?

I've seen a micropolis 9Gb drive as a single filesystem over a year
ago on FreeBSD, and Satoshi Asami (asami@freebsd.org) has been doing
CCD (conconated disk) driver development, with filesystems much larger
than 9Gb... So you're pretty safe. I think the limit in 2.1.5-RELEASE
is something like 1terrabytes for a single filesystem, although
performance issues to do with the FS layout may become critical before
then.

Gary