Date:      Sat, 17 Feb 1996 20:26:29 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hysterical Raisons

As Heikki Suonsivu wrote:

> Are you quite sure about this?  Most of stuff in our local/bin is installed
> from original source, not from ports.  I use ports as a last resort, not as
> the primary source.

You are about the only one. :)

I use packages wherever they fit my needs, then ports, then resort to
the icky way of finding the source myself, fighting with it to get it
compiled, etc.

>  Last time we used ports we got a shareware version
> which would cost $2000 to register, for functionality I think I can arrange
> to be written from scratch for the same price, though there already is
> older free version (this was zmodem).

zmodem is certainly the only one of this kind.  There should also be a
port of the older, freeware zmodem.  Just like it has been done for
ghostscript: you can select between the freeware version 2, and the
shareware version 3.

--
cheers, J"org