Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 2002 23:41:18 +0000
From:      Hillery <rhillery@hawksi.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   booteasy & mbr

Arrrgh...
  OK, I've R'd the FM (Murray's AND Greg Lehey's) and still can't find=20
someting that I know I did this summer... edited the text echoed by the F=
BSD=20
bootloader.
  Somewhere on the site or in those books I found a blurb  on how to modi=
fy=20
the text that spits out "F1 DOS & F2 BSD " lines in pre-boot (before BTX=20
takes over -- so boot) or boot1?)

  Actually, right now it's a minor annoyance but since I think it can be =
done=20
I want to -- I have F1 showing as "??" because it's a dual boot laptop (W=
in2K=20
plus this FBSD 4.6) and the WIN slice is NTFS.  I once modified the echo =
by=20
adding and F3 which was bogus (to alloy a colleague who often tried to us=
e=20
the system...).  If I could do that (and I can't even find that again in =
the=20
books...).  I've wandered around in loader.conf & rc.conf & loader.4th, i=
n=20
/etc and in /etc/defaults.  zilch.  I'd be happy if you gave me a snappy=20
answer like, "page 352, dummy..." but right now I've gone through it a pa=
ge=20
at a time and have reread the parts about boot sequence so often I'm drea=
ming=20
about it -- but cant find what I recall was a simple edit trick...Help,=20
please. =20

  OH, BTW, will openoffice 1.0.1 and/or mozilla 1.0.1 run on BSD -- Again=
, I'm=20
kinda new to this end, but I downloaded the linux versions (yeah, I know =
that=20
may be the prob... BSD isn't linux, which is great because I can't stand =
that=20
penguin...) and after tar -zxf then trying install I got errors ELF <0> o=
r=20
something like that.  & Yes, I su'd to root...

Any ideas would be nice here, too.   Thanks

--=20
Bob Hillery
Hawk SI, LLC
rhillery@hawksi.org