Date:      Tue, 2 Mar 1999 20:21:55 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bsd vs. linux and NT chart

On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, Brett Glass wrote:

> At 05:21 PM 3/2/99 -0700, Brett Taylor wrote:
> >Hint 1 - no one ASKS people to maintain ports.  Like all of FreeBSD
> >you volunteer to help.
>
> I've volunteered on several occasions and did not meet with a warm
> response.

What the hell do you need a response for?!  No one ASKED me to maintain
the ports I maintain - I just do it.  It's pretty simple Brett.  Find
yourself a piece of software that hasn't been ported.  Now make a port of
it - inside the Makefile put:

	MAINTAINER=   brett@lariat.org

And there you go - you're a port maintainer.  If this is that difficult to
comprehend you shouldn't be maintaining ports anyway.  Better yet, go
through the tree and find ports that don't have a maintainer and make
yourself its caretaker.  There are plenty that don't have one (they'll
have MAINTAINER=  ports@freebsd.org).

If you're talking about being a committer I can see why they didn't give
you the commit privileges - you haven't even maintained a port, why would
they trust you to have commit privileges on them?

> > It's not that it's hard to get it to do ELF _or_ a.out but to be able
> > to do BOTH in one system.  Until you actually start trying to
> > maintain some ports and do some work in this area, or let Satoshi
> > explain to you in simple terms WHY it's hard then it's clear we're
> > not going anywhere.

> Then eliminate the need for that. Again, you're not "thinking outside
> the box."

We DID eliminate the need to do both.  FreeBSD is now ELF - deal w/ it.
If you don't think 3.1 is stable then deal w/ the fact that new ports are
not going to be available to you.

> Again, you're not being creatve or innovative here. Again, why not
> just adapt the Linux emulator to bring in FreeBSD ELFs?

If you think it's so easy to pull in FreeBSD ELF apps as is done for the
Linux stuff then do it.  Back up all these "this should be done" comments
w/ real action instead of talk and maybe then people would listen to you.

> I think it requires a certain level of maturity to think in terms of
> the users who want a stable, tested version rather than the bleeding
> edge and accommodate them.

The ports track STABLE.  3.* is the new STABLE branch.  It was tested by
lots of people when it was -CURRENT.  It's tested by lots of people now.
My machine has been up since I converted it to -CURRENT (back when it was
3.0) in December.  I've run my numerical code to look at quantum
mechanical effects on black holes on it.  I've made world -j4 many times.
It's stable.  Have I tested everything?  Certainly not - that's why it was
tested as -CURRENT before it went to STABLE.  If you don't like it don't
run it, but don't complain when the latest version of Gimp or something
else appears and it won't build on your 2.2 system.

Finally, it'd be nice if you showed some maturity and stopped whining
about the GPL constantly.

I'm done w/ this as I might as well be talking to a fence post.

Brett
Brett Taylor            brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu *
                        brett@daemonnews.org              *
							  *