Date:      Sat, 21 Jul 2001 12:12:47 -0400
From:      User & Ian Patrick Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to change UDMA mode on ata drives

As it was put forth by Bill Moran on Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 12:00:07PM -0400...
> User & Ian Patrick Thomas wrote:
> >
> > As it was put forth by Bill Moran on Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 09:46:25AM -0400...
> > > I've got an ata100 drive that's buggy under ata100. I want to throttle it
> > > back to ata66 mode to see if the problem still exists. How is this done?
> > >
> > > -Bill
> > >

> >         Try this
> >
> > sysctl -a | grep "hw.ata.*"
> >
> >         and check out man sysctl.
> >
> > Ian
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> The only options I have through sysctl are hw.atamodes, and hw.ata.ata_dma
> both of which only allow turning DMA on and off. I would like to leave it
> on, but force the controller to use UDMA4 (ata66) instead of UDMA5 (ata100)
>
> Is there a method for this, or is it an on/off proposition?

	I havn't found one that allows you to specify 66 instead of 100.  If
you wanted to throttle down to 33 then you could use the 40 cable, but both
66 and 100 use the 80 cable, correct?  The driver uses the maximum
achievable speed.  Could it be that the source to the driver needs to be
tweaked?

Ian