Date:      Sun, 24 Jun 2001 18:16:14 +0200
From:      "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disable traceroute to my host

--d8Lz2Tf5e5STOWUP

Dag-Erling Smorgrav(des@ofug.org)@2001.06.24 17:10:31 +0000:
> Third - if you set up ipfw to unconditionally block ICMP (whether in
> the mistaken belief that it will prevent route tracing or for some
> other lameass reason), I will personally buy a very heavy baseball
> bat, hop on a plane, and pay you a visit you'll remember for the rest
> of your very short lives.  Although some ICMP types are admittedly not
> very useful, that doesn't mean none of them are, and you should at the
> very least let types 3 and 11 through or you'll be very sorry.  I
> usually set up my filters to let 0, 3, 8 and 11 through and block
> everything else.

dag, could you please write an rfc based on this? especially the part
with the baseball bat sounds very nice to me -- being an netops guy for
most of my life. you care for the writing, i care for the beer ;-)

> * It went a bit like this: Friend: "Sun have this new firewall product
>   that's really cool, it can do blah blah blah" - Me: "Oh, FreeBSD can
>   do that" - Friend: "No, it can't" - Me: "Yes, it can" - Friend: "No
>   it can't, because blah blah blah" - Me: "Oh, I see" <clicketyclick>
>   "Now FreeBSD can do that too" - Friend: <boggle>

hehe, reminds me of this customer's nokia ip-330 sitting in the corner
of my lab -- i probably will wipe ipso and this weird-ass checkpoint
fw1, replace it with freebsd and ipfilter :->

/k

--=20
> who | grep -i blonde | date; cd ~; unzip; touch; finger; mount;\
> gasp; yes; uptime; umount; sleep 600
KR433/KR11-RIPE -- WebMonster Community Founder -- nGENn GmbH Senior Techie
http://www.webmonster.de/ -- ftp://ftp.webmonster.de/ -- http://www.ngenn.n=
et/
karsten&rohrbach.de -- alpha&ngenn.net -- alpha&scene.org -- catch@spam.de
GnuPG 0x2964BF46 2001-03-15 42F9 9FFF 50D4 2F38 DBEE  DF22 3340 4F4E 2964 B=
F46
Please do not remove my address from To: and Cc: fields in mailing lists. 1=
0x

--d8Lz2Tf5e5STOWUP

--d8Lz2Tf5e5STOWUP--