Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 2015 21:41:31 +0800
From:      Ernie Luzar <luzar722@gmail.com>
To:        jail@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Michael W. Lucas" <mwlucas@michaelwlucas.com>
Subject:   Re: preferred jail management tool

Ian Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jan 2015 19:23:48 -0600, Mark Linimon wrote:
> [Sean Chittenden wrote:]
>  > > > For years I've used and endorsed ezjail, but as stated, it is depreciated.
>  >
>  > Hmm, there's no notation at
>  > http://portsmon.freebsd.org/portoverview.py?category=sysutils&portname=ezjail ,
>  > nor in the Makefile AFAICT.
>  >
>  > > > For a book, excluding ezjail would exclude a huge portion of the user base
>  > > > and seems like it would hurt credibility given its dominance as the
>  > > > preferred tool for jail administration.
>
> I agree with this; given its history and installed base it certainly
> deserves some coverage with at least references to its documentation, as
> a precursor to more recently emerging, likely more comprehensive tools.
>
>  > On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 12:54:50PM -0500, Alejandro Imass wrote:
>  > > Maybe is something obvious to the more technical crowd but as a user what
>  > > does "depreciated" mean in this context?
>  >
>  > Really the word most people use is .
>  >
>  > It can mean any number of things:
>  >
>  >  - it no longer works due to changes in other software
>  >  - it has been replaced by something else
>  >  - the author is no longer interested in maintaining it
>  >
>  > and so forth.
>  >
>  > I don't know the answer in this case.
>
> As Alejandro went on to point out, depreciate means (ref Concise Oxford)
> 'Diminish in value' or 'Lower market price of; reduce purchasing power
> of (money); disparage, belittle' (L. pretiare f. pretium price), while
> deprecate means 'Plead against; express wish against or disapproval of
> (L. precari pray).  Different, with some overlap regarding belittlement.
>
> The former term is prominent in Joe's http://jail-primer.sourceforge.net/
>
> cheers, Ian

Your correct that ezjail does not proclaim it self as "deprecated" /
"depreciated".
But if you were real jail users you would have seen the "deprecated" /
"depreciated" message that
pops out when you start a jail that is defined in rc.conf file in
FreeBSD 10.0. That jail start up warning message
also tells you to convert to using jail.conf file. With the progression
of each new major Freebsd release since 9.1
jail(8) has become the jail driver and the rc.conf jail definition
statements slowly being replaced by jail.conf as
the only supported  jail definition method. With this as a fact and a
review of the ezjail change log it becomes evident
that ezjail does not support jail.conf at this time. 11.0 will shortly
be  published  and to my knowledge support for jails
defined in rc.conf will no longer be supported. You do the math, ezjail
is at end of life unless it under goes a major change
to using the jail.conf file before 11.0 is published. This was pointed
out in the original post, but which the readers choose to ignore.
I hope the ezjail author takes this thread as incentive to keep his
utility up to date and not let it die due to changing software in Freebsd
base code. All I am doing is pointing out the facts here.

I though it was important for the guy who wants to write a book on jails
to know the facts so he can make an informed decision
about which tools to write about, To me it would seem pretty silly to
invest the time to write about a jail tool that at this time
in its development is "deprecated" / "depreciated" by circumstances out
of its control.

In my opinion any port that does not  include complete documentation in
its man pages is next to useless and many people agree.
Ezjail man pages lack documentation on 98 percent of its functions.  I
do not see HOW a book on jails can recommend a tool with
such poor documentation.  Doing so would  put the creditability of every
thing written in the book in doubt and NO author wants to get
mud in their face for failing to completely understand the unpublished
background of the subject targeted to write about.

In a nut shell, since 9.1  jails have been a moving target as the
implementation of jail(8) replaces the rc.d/jail method.
Hopefully with 11.0  the jail target will stop moving.  This means that
most of the jail ports dealing with  Releases 8.x, and 9.x,
are obsolete for 11.0.

On the subject of vimage/vnet, vimage has many outstanding PRs and has
received absolutely no maintenance since it was first published.
The bugs deal with memory leaks and failure to work with firewalls. Some
ISP's have downplayed these show stopper problems and
successfully created  working production environments at the risk of
their subscribers. An experts knowledge of networking and the
availability of a range of static ip addresses is required. Vimage/vnet
sure is not intended for the home user or small business.
Vimage has to be compiled into the kernel and its kernel compile option
has comment that it is highly experimental.
That is all that needs to be said about vimage/vnet.

When it comes to "deprecated" / "depreciated". Nit picking over the
letter "i" in the spelling of the word is crazy.
You all know Freebsd meaning and its not what the dictionary says.
My dictionary shows both words mean the same thing, one being the USA
spelling and the other being the British spelling.
Enough said about spelling.