Date:      Mon, 06 Nov 2000 14:49:44 -0800
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        ignacioc@avantel.net (Ignacio Cristerna), freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installation: what to (not) do about it

> The software isn't severable, and it's not layered.  If the
> NetBSD rc files go in, then you will have a talking point.

No relevance to the current point.  A proper upgrade issue will take
advantage of such abstractions where they exist and whap over them
with a blunt object where they do not.  There will never be enough
"layers" to make an upgrade totally painless and a mixture of both
approaches will always, to some degree, be necessary.

> The restrictive license was a requirement placed there by Whistle
> when they funded the developement under FreeBSD.

I've heard this story differently and with Sun involved, but no matter
as it's a petty point.

> I seem to remember that FreeBSD started out with proprietary bits
> in its installer.

Your memory is flawed.

- Jordan