Date:      Fri, 23 Nov 2001 05:04:24 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A (IMHO) Question Asking Good Guide

On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 08:59:11PM -0600, Mike Meyer wrote:
> Dominic Marks <dominic_marks@btinternet.com> types:
> > On Wednesday 21 November 2001 6:25 pm, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
> > > The preface in the PDF FAQ at
> > > http://www.smoothwall.org/download/pdf/docs/0.9.9/doc.faq.pdf seems
> > > to be a good guide on how to ask questions in forums such as this
> > > one.  It might be a place to direct those that don't seem to have a
> > > clue as to how support groups such as this one work.
> >
> > ESR has a good guide as well, somewhere on his home page
> > (http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/).
>
> The preface to the document is ESR's guide.

Mmm. The part of ESR's guide on how to phrase and submit questions
is pretty good. Much of the way it is written however is highly
quetionable IMHO. The continuing use of the third person plural
to refer to "hackers" and the notion that hackers are somehow
above the norms that apply to others is highly dubious.

No flame war folks; just my opinion of ESR is a mixed one.

--
Regards
Cliff