Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 1996 10:35:20 BST
From:      Michael Ryan <mike@NetworX.ie>
To:        Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Support <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Does FBSD 2.1 honour ICMP redirects?

On Mon, 19 Aug 1996 16:53:53 PDT Bill Fenner wrote:

> Redirects only work for routers on the same network.  Since there are no other
> routers on your PPP link, redirects don't make any sense on it and the other
> end is wrong in sending them to you.

You're right in what you're saying, but I don't think your case applies to me.
Here is my setup: when I establish the PPP link, I get assigned a dynamically
allocated IP address.  I'm not certain, but I think this address is from my
ISP's own pool, i.e. I'm getting an address from the pool they use on their
own LAN.  Then, I'm assuming, the other end of my PPP link acts as a proxy
ARP server for me.
Now, here's where it's debatable.  My PPP peer knows he's a proxy ARP
server, so he should play the game accordingly.  But he seems to forget this
when it comes to routing.  I'm sending him datagrams bound for a destination
for which he's not the appropriate first hop, so he says, "screw this; let's
send this guy a Redirect".

Even if what you say *is* the situation in my particular case, and he is
wrong in sending the Redirects, still why doesn't FreeBSD honour them?
After all, the router he's redirecting me to *is* on the same IP network:

	                   me=194.125.135.89
	               mypeer=194.125.135.23
	peer_says_redirect_to 194.125.135.1

Mike