Date:      Sun, 11 Nov 2001 23:27:12 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cur{thread/proc}, or not.

In message <20011111191735.00D053807@overcee.netplex.com.au>, Peter Wemm writes:

> [ass'y output of gcc]
>
>Ever wonder why the kernel gets slower and slower to compile?  Ever
>compiled a 2.1 or 2.2 kernel on a modern machine and been shocked away by
>the speed?
>
>Count me in the 'curproc considered harmful' camp.  (or curthread).

Peters example more than clenches the argument for me, but I also
wonder if we would not paint ourselves into a corner with the
cur{proc|thread} stuff if the future ends up being more parallel
and cluster-oriented.

<VOICE MODE=GODFATHER">
Roberto!  come over here!

Do you zink zese Curproc and Curthread they will get losst on zeir way home ?

Good boy.

</VOICE>