Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 1998 08:01:06 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Richard Puga <puga@mauibuilt.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ccd device

Hi,

I don't beleive it's possible to change the interleave without backing off
the data from the ccd and re-formatting it... :-(

As for the 'correct' interleave to use - your probably better off say
starting with a value of 128, try a few performance tests - then try an
interleave of say 256, or 64 etc. - and just keep going for a while...

It is extreemly hard (i.e. I beleive almost impossible) to mathematically
calculate the 'optimum' interleave - and this varies with the type of disk
access as well, so what's good for reading small files - isn't so hot for
writing large files etc. :-(

I have 2 CCD's on my system, I tend to find SCSI goes quicker with larger
interleaves than IDE - having said that both mine are set to an interleave
of 32 at the moment, after I just finished rebuilding my system...

Regards,

Karl Pielorz