Date:      Mon, 28 Nov 2011 18:25:12 GMT
From:      Ben Benson <freebsd-bug@usww.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/162927: Modem-PPP error ppp[1538]: tun0: Phase: Clearing choked output queue - rs232 external 56k modem

>Number:         162927
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Modem-PPP error ppp[1538]: tun0: Phase: Clearing choked output queue - rs232 external 56k modem
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
FreeBSD pcbsd-1925.usww.net 8.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE #1: Sat Jul 17 11:59:09 PDT 2010     root@build8x32.pcbsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/local_storage/pcbsd-build81-x32/fbsd-source/8.1/sys/PCBSD  i386

On the current machine for testing
On Freebsd 8.1, 8.2 and PCBD 8.1, 8.2 when using a modem during rain storms when Satellite internet connection is not available periodically the modem connectioon terminates after a long delay. Looking in /usr/local/ppp.log I See:
  ppp[1538]: tun0: Phase: Clearing choked output queue
when I try to ping I get back a message it is out of buffer space.
I have brought the tun0, fxp0 interfaces down and back up with no positive results. I have tried to cu -l /dev/cuau0 on all OS's but of course I do not connect to the modem. I have totally re-configured the interfaces with no positive results. Different external modems did nothing to correct the problem.

The only way to solve the problem is a shutdown and restart.

It is such a pain, I have tried Freebsd OS versions 8.1 and 8.2 also PCBSD 8.1 and 8.2 on TPX4 Asus boards, X5DPA-TGM+ Super Micro, GA-V7KMLS and GA-7DPXDW-C - GIGABYTE boards. I have a stand alone system on all the time now attempting to fix this problem while other systems are on high speed connections. I need a periodic modem connection for my servers from home. On FreeBSD 2.2.8 and 4.11 your rock hard, die hard systems I never had this problem. I skipped 5.X and 6.X they seemed to not be good for servers in the server room. Version 7.3 is my current. Version 9 looks a ways off, so, I need a fix version 8.

>How-To-Repeat:
It just happens. Some times in 30 minutes. Other times a day may pass.