Date:      Mon, 16 Feb 2004 20:48:01 +1030
From:      "Paul A. Hoadley" <paulh@logicsquad.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: spam removal

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 04:44:25AM -0500, matthew wrote:

> > I recommend bogofilter for per-user filtering.  Spamassassin is
> > also highly recommended for site use.  I tend to dislike DNS-based
> > filtering because it has a high rate of false positives, and it
> > causes your users to lose legitimate mail if it's rejected at the
> > mail server.
>
> As far as I understand it, one does "not lose email" using dns-based
> blacklists.

Sure you can.  If Alice wants to legitimately contact Bob from a
blacklisted IP (whether the blacklisting is actually Alice's fault, or
she's just fallen under an excessively large blanket), and Bob is
running DNS-based filtering, Bob's MTA blocks Alice based on her IP.
Bob loses legitimate mail.  Admittedly you provided a counterexample,
but it is not always so easy.

--
Paul.

mailto:paulh@logicsquad.net