Date:      Sat, 23 Dec 2000 15:05:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ken Bolingbroke <ken@bolingbroke.com>
To:        Jason Halbert <res02jw5@gte.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mail Servers

On Sat, 23 Dec 2000, Jason Halbert wrote:

> But I digress.  Alas, no my friends arent on the same ISP.  I'm sure
> this wouldn't be hard if there were clear instructions for doing it.
> I just haven't figured out exactly how sendmail does stuff yet.
>
> So... bring it on.  What do I have to do? =)

Presumably, your friends' ISPs already provide mail relay services for
their dialup.  The easiest course of action is to have each of your users
use their own dial-up provider's mail relay for outgoing SMTP, even if
they use your mail server's POP for incoming mail.  That way, you don't
need to worry about opening yourself up to abuse from anyone else who
shares the same ISPs as your users.

The somewhat harder course of action would be to use SMTP AUTH, which asks
for a login and password before allowing relay, but the end-user's client
has to support it.

Ken