Date:      Fri, 03 Jul 2009 20:45:33 +0000
From:      Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about a failure report

--On Friday, July 03, 2009 14:57:52 -0500 Sahil Tandon <sahil@tandon.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 03 Jul 2009, Paul Schmehl wrote:
>
>> I just got a failure report for one of my ports: security/barnyard-squil.
>
> s/squil/sguil/ :-)
>
>>  That port is a slave port to security/barnyard.
>>
>> The error is:
>>  ERROR: unable to find mysql headers (mysql.h)
>>  checked in the following places
>>        /mysql.h
>
> The configure script needs some direction.
>
>> This is what I have in the Makefile of security/barnyard:
>>
>> .if defined(WITH_MYSQL)
>> USE_MYSQL=              yes
>> CONFIGURE_ARGS+=        --enable-mysql
>> .endif
>>
>> How do I fix this since I'm using the builtin macro?
>
> In security/barnyard/Makefile, try:
>
> CONFIGURE_ARGS+= --enable-mysql \
>                  --with-mysql-includes=${LOCALBASE}/include/mysql \
>                  --with-mysql-libraries=${LOCALBASE}/lib/mysql

I *thought* that was what USE_MYSQL meant.  The CONFIGURE_ARGS I'm using are
for barnyard.  It then looks for the mysql header file, which it should find if
mysql is installed.  USE_MYSQL=yes means (if I understand the bsd.database.mk
file)

BUILD_DEPENDS+=
${LOCALBASE}/lib/mysql/libmysqld.a:${PORTSDIR}/databases/mysql${MYSQL_VER}-client
(see lines 142ff in bsd.database.mk.)

If I can build barnyard-sguil (and really barnyard since the former is a slave
port) by selecting that OPTION *and* the OPTION Is preselected, why does the
build fail when run on tinderbox?  Unless I'm totally misunderstanding what
USE_MYSQL means, the BUILD_DEPENDS is included if mysql is selected.  Adding
CONFIGURE_ARGS for includes and libraries should only be necessary if those are
in a non-standard location *or* the software simply refuses to build without
specifying them.  It does not.

Again, I'm confused.  I don't understand why the build fails in tinderbox.
Hopefully someone with knowledge of that process can point out the error of my
ways.

--
Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst
Check the headers before clicking on Reply.