Date:      Sat, 13 May 1995 18:47:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu (Charles Henrich)
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/396: telnetd problems fix.

> > >     This bug is encountered on all FreeBSD systems running 950412-SNAP as
> > >     well as 950210-SNAP, probably on all 2.x versions.
> >
> > Probably on all 4.4 based OS's.  Did you also open a bug report with FTP
> > software??  They use to base there code on BSD 4.2 / Net/2 and it probably
> > still has the bugs from that generation of code.
> >
> > NCSA Telnet also seems to have this problem....
>
> This is fixable by disabling -DLINEMODE for telnetd, this also seems to make
> things feel more responsive.  While it was pointed out that this will make
> slower links (ppp) work slower, most folks using ppp are going to be doing so
> with software that could be breaking on this, making the system unusable.  I
> would strongly suggest we disable -DLINEMODE as the default for the system.
> Working slow is better than not working fast.  We should do this for 2.0.5.

I disagree, and we have been down this road at least 4 times in the
last 2 years with FreeBSD.  The bug is not in the FreeBSD code, it should
not be bandaided to work with code that gets option negotiation wrong.

I don't like to fix bugs in other software by making FreeBSD slower at
*anything*.  Go get NCSA and FTP software to fix there very ancient
and broken code, they have had 2 years to do this, and still have not.