Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 09:13:33 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Reinoud <Reinoud.Koornstra@ibb.net>
To:        Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipf or ipfw (was: log with dynamic firewall rules)

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Gerhard Sittig wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 25, 2000 at 21:56 -0500, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> >
> > Would running both ipfw and ipf be considered over the top?
>
> I was never sure whether they collide or not.  But having ipf
> running I don't see a point in using ipfw.  Make sure you have

There can be one reason to run ipfw and ipf together.
I just use ipf as firewall, and started using ipfw cause dummynet
can only be used when you're using ipfw as far as i can tell.
So ipf is still used (and will always be :) ) as ip filter on the
machines, and ipfw is used just to make dummynet work to control
bandwidth.
Bye,

Reinoud.