Date:      Sun, 14 Jul 2002 17:17:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tony Chang <w@muc.muohio.edu>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   usb controllers

Hello,

I have three USB controllers on my laptop, one on the left side
of the system, one on the right, and one for the base station
which has two usb ports when I dock.  I think the USB controller
for the base station is causing problems on my system and I was
wondering if I could disable just that USB controller while
leaving the other two running.  When I compile USB into the
kernel, I get error messages saying:

"usb0: host controller halted"

about once every two seconds.  If I don't compile USB into the
kernel and instead let usbd automatically load the kernel
module, I get no error messages and my USB mouse works without
any problems on the two USB ports on the laptop.  However, it
doesn't register when I plug it into the USB ports on the media
base.

From dmesg:
uhci0: <Intel 82801CA/CAM (ICH3) USB controller USB-A> port 0x8c80-0x8c9f irq 10 at device 29.0 on pci0
usb0: <Intel 82801CA/CAM (ICH3) USB controller USB-A> on uhci0
usb0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0: Intel UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
uhci1: <Intel 82801CA/CAM (ICH3) USB controller USB-B> port 0x8ca0-0x8cbf irq 11 at device 29.1 on pci0
usb1: <Intel 82801CA/CAM (ICH3) USB controller USB-B> on uhci1
usb1: USB revision 1.0
uhub1: Intel UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
uhci2: <UHCI (generic) USB controller> port 0x8cc0-0x8cdf irq 11 at device 29.2 on pci0
uhci2: (New UHCI DeviceId=0x24878086)
usb2: <UHCI (generic) USB controller> on uhci2
usb2: USB revision 1.0
uhub2: (0x24878086) UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1

Any ideas on how to selectively tell the system to start a usb
controller but not to start another?

Thanks,
Tony

http://www.aypwip.org

"I'm always content.  I am what I am, no matter how I got that
way."
--Human from Xenocide by Orson Scott Card