Date:      Sat, 13 Oct 2001 20:10:30 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Doug Reynolds" <mav@wastegate.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: cvsup

Doug Reynolds <mav@wastegate.net> types:
> On Fri, 12 Oct 2001 10:35:16 +0200, Patrick O'Reilly wrote:
>
> >OK - thanks to all for your support!
> >
> >I have gone ahead to the point of completing 'make buildworld', with the
> >help of the handbook and yourselves.
> >
> >Next few steps (next week, as I have just been given a free golfing weekend
> >and must run... :) are:
> >
> >make buildkernel
> >make installkernel
> >make installworld
> >
> >Or something along those lines?
> >
> >I must just check how to tell 'make installkernel' to use my modified config
> >file (GENERIC with tweaks).

Plug your config name in where I used "YOURCONF" below. You can also
set KERNCONF in /etc/make.conf, to change the default kernel from
GENERIC to YOURCONF.

> I do:
>
> make buildworld
> make installword
> make buildkernel
> make installkernel
> mergemaster

This is probably the most dangerous order you could do those things in
that can work.

The recommended - and safest - order is:

make buildworld
make kernel KERNCONF=YOURCONF
# reboot to run the kernel you just built, preferably in single user mode
make installworld
mergemaster
reboot again

You have to do the buildworld before you can build a kernel, so
buildworld has to happen first.

"make kernel" is identical to "make buildkernel" followed by
"make installkernel". FWIW, "make world" is also identical to
"make buildworld" followed by "make installworld",

After that, you reboot to insure that the new kernel will boot. If it
fails for some reason, backing out the kernel is pretty easy, and you
have your old, running system to rebuild things on.

Running old binaries on a new kernel is safer than running new
binaries on an old kernel. Kernels have to support a lot of old
binaries; they aren't expected to have to support binaries that may
need features that didn't exist when the kernel was built. SO you do
the installworld in that mode, rather than trying to build the new
kernel using new binaries running on the old one.

Also, replacing daemons and the like while they are running can be
hazardous to log files and other data structures the daemons keep on
disk. Which is why it's safer to do the installworld in single user
mode.

It's sort of immaterial whether mergemaster is run in single or multi
user mode, but you need to reboot afterwards to make sure all the
changes that it installs are in place. So running it in single user
mode after installing that way before rebooting is simple.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.