Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 2004 22:56:39 +0400
From:      Sergey Matveychuk <sem@ciam.ru>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Second "RFC" on pkg-data idea for ports

Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> At 11:16 AM -0400 4/13/04, Brian F. Feldman wrote:
>

>> ... will cost us ease of use in creating and updating ports,
>> certainly, because the developer cannot simply type
>> `diff file{.orig,file} > patchfile' and be finished with it.
>

> There would be an extra step (or two) here, yes.

It may be quite appreciably for me as a ports developer. When I create
or update a port I need to diff, test and to diff again and agian.
And we'll get more complex port creation/updating process.
So we'll make developers' life harder.

>> and I also would not be able to just
>> `grep ^whatever ports/foo/*/pkg-plist' in the common,
>> single-plist case.  Of course, the tool wouldn't make it
>> that much harder to do something similar, but it would
>> be twice the typing.
>

> We could maybe hide that typing behind a make target, similar
> to `make search index=xxx' and `make search key=yyy'

Of course we could.
But we can't to change all mighty-unix-tools with any target anyway.
And if we'll make a search target quite complex we'll force users to
study more documentation to understand how it works instead of make
their unix knowledge works.
So we'll make users' life harder.

Apart I think it'll make ports install porocess slower because of
parsing and extracting.

Do you think saving inodes outweigh all unconveniences we'll get?

> Well, I am guessing this might be taken as a "NO" vote...  :-)

Sorry, my vote is "no" too.

--
Sem.