Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 2013 16:48:42 +0000
From:      "Teske, Devin" <Devin.Teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        markham breitbach <markham_breitbach@ssimicro.com>
Cc:        Devin Teske <dteske@freebsd.org>, questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: .sh script code to determine IPv4 or IPv6

On Aug 6, 2013, at 9:20 AM, markham breitbach wrote:

> On 13-08-03 8:04 AM, Teske, Devin wrote:
>> Actually, there's /usr/share/bsdconfig/media/tcpip.subr
>>=20
>>=20
> I don't seem to have that (FreeBSD 8.3-RELEASE).  Where would I get that =
from?=20
>=20
>=20

It's in up-coming 9.2-R (and present 9.2-* snapshots leading up to 9.2-R).

You can snatch a copy of the code by installing sysutils/bsdconfig from the=
 ports tree.

However, the port is marked (correctly-so) as requiring FreeBSD 9.0 or high=
er.

But don't let that stop you... the only reason it's marked as requiring 9.0=
 is because 9.0 brings in a new dialog(1) implementation.

However, if you're interested in the TCP validation code... that will work =
on any release. It's only the dialog(1) stuff that won't work on 8.x or old=
er.

Luckily, it'll be pretty easy to avoid the land-mines. All functions starti=
ng with f_dialog_* should be avoided on 8.x or older.

So here's the latest package to download (in case you're unsuccessful in ge=
tting the port to behave -- afterall, it may just balk at you for not runni=
ng 9.x):

	fetch http://druidbsd.sourceforge.net/download/bsdconfig/bsdconfig-0.9.0.t=
bz

That's a FreeBSD package. You can download it and say (as root):

	pkg_add bsdconfig-0.9.0.tbz

Just be forewarned (again), on 8.x or older, executing "bsdconfig" will hav=
e widely unexpected results (it won't eat your homework, but it may or may =
not actually *run*).

However, doing the above 2-step (fetch & pkg_add) will bring in the files y=
ou're looking for and give you the functionality you're wanting on 8.x.
--=20
Devin

P.S. I really *can't* make the dialog(1) stuff backward compatible with 8.x=
's (or any older's) version of dialog(1). The new `cdialog' variant that wa=
s brought into 9.x to replace the aging dialog(1)/libdialog pair is has a *=
lot* of functionality that I depend on. It could potentially take months to=
 make bsdconfig *fully* backward compatible with 8.x. For now, it's safe if=
 you just use the libraries and avoid any/all functions beginning with "f_d=
ialog_".

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
 that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.