Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 2001 15:31:06 +0100
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anyone get "runsocks" to work for programs in Linux emulation mode?

On Tue, 09-Jan-2001 at 13:56:35 -0800, David Wolfskill wrote:
> The "runsocks" script basically works by placing certain libraries earlier
> in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH, so that calls to certain (dynamically loaded)
> functions get the "socksified" versions of the functions instead of the
> usual flavor.
>
> Linux emulation does its own curious things with the program's perception
> of the universe.
>
> Now I have a requirement to gain access to network resources that are on
> the far side of a SOCKS5 server (that requires user-level authentication,
> so just pointing (say) Netscape at the SOCKS server doesn't do the job).
> I am able to get the lynx-ssl stuff to work via runsocks, but the
> application in question appears to be designed to require some
> capabilities that lynx doesn't support.  The native FreeBSD netscape
> works for most things, but not one particular HTTPS (TCP/443)
> application.  So I wanted to try the Linux version of netscape....
>
> Has anyone had occasion to try to make this work?  Is attempting it
> something that is suitable only by the certifiably insane?

I use a linux compiled libsocks5_sh.so:

andre@bali:~>ll /compat/linux/usr/local/lib/libsocks5_sh.so
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  - 89872 Aug  2 18:54 /compat/linux/usr/local/lib/libsocks5_sh.so*

Then I use the usual

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib
export LD_PRELOAD=libsocks5_sh.so

and run linux realplayer successfully through the socks server.

I can send you my libsocks5_sh.so binary if you want it, it is based
on socks5-v1.0r11.tar.gz...

	-Andre