Date:      Mon, 22 Aug 2005 01:10:15 GMT
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/85104: keyboard(4) manpage hides behind Xorg version

The following reply was made to PR docs/85104; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To: "Gary W. Swearingen" <garys@opusnet.com>
Cc: bug-followup@freebsd.org
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 04:07:09 +0300

 On 2005-08-22 00:50, "Gary W. Swearingen" <garys@opusnet.com> wrote:
 >Dejan Lesjak <dejan.lesjak@ijs.si> writes:
 >
 >> Getting keyboard manpage seems to work as expected here:
 >>
 >> % man -w keyboard
 >> /usr/share/man/man4/keyboard.4.gz
 >>
 >> % man -wa keyboard
 >> /usr/share/man/man4/keyboard.4.gz
 >> /usr/X11R6/man/man4/keyboard.4x.gz
 >>
 >> Putting manpages from X11 into 4x was done exactly so there would be an easy
 >> way to get to them - see PR ports/25576.
 >> Could it be that you have misconfigured manpath.config or MANPATH variable set
 >> perhaps?
 >
 >  Neither (untouched "manpath.config", no MANPATH), but my PATH obviously
 >  doesn't work well with the installed "manpath.config".
 >
 >  Of course I could fix this with manpath.config, but
 >  it seems like too much learning to make (normal?) users do, esp.
 >  without telling them about it, not even in the Handbook.

 The average Joe Random User has to learn about "apropos" and "man -k"
 though.  This is the canonical way of looking for manpages related to a
 topic, and invoking either one of "apropos" or "man -k" shows there are
 two manpages:

 % giorgos@gothmog:/home/giorgos$ man -k ^keyboard
 % keyboard(4)              - pc keyboard interface
 % keyboard(4x)             - Keyboard input driver
 % giorgos@gothmog:/home/giorgos$

 >  I noticed the .4x. but it didn't occur to me to try "man 4x keyboard",
 >  since I thought the "4" was for "man4".  But this doesn't help me
 >  because "man 4 keyboard" still brings up keyboard(4x) manpage.

 The correct way to bring up manpages of section XX is to use "man XX",
 so you shouldn't really expect to see keyboard(4x) by running:

 	% man 4 keyboard

 The correct command:

 	% man 4x keyboard

 pulls the correct manpage, so I don't see what the problem is :-/