Date:      Fri, 2 May 1997 07:06:14 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        bde@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: -current build is now broken..

>Sorry for the bogus explanation - it was 4am and I was tired. :-) I
>meant to say, of course, that it populates a chroot tree from the host
>system, then checks out an entire tree into the chroot area, then
>chroots in and does a make world.

Yes, it naively assumes that src/Makefile actually handles bootstrapping
properly.

>And yes, it's possible for the older *.mk files on the host to screw
>you up, but that *also has to be taken into account* in any changes
>folks may make to the build structure since almost all of the 3.0
>release/snap builds will be taking place on 2.2 systems for some time
>to come.  You've no choice but to install 2.2 *.mk files on the first
>pass and, if this becomes a problem as the result of some change, then

No, it's the responsibility of release/Makefile to be almost independent
of the host.  Just use -m like I said to get *.mk from the src tree
instead of from the host.  If that fails, then use `make -m ../share/mk'
in src/release to get even the `mk' files used by release/Makefile itself
from the src tree.

src/Makefile should do some of this too.  I will fix it in -current.

Bruce