Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 1996 09:27:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Chris Timmons <skynyrd@tahoma.cwu.edu>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Verbose babble in if_fddisubr.c

I am wondering if it is worth the effort for these particular messages.
They could be useful if something in the driver itself was
misunderstanding encapsulation and was presenting bunged packets of a
supported protocol to fddi_input().  Otherwise it should be no surprise
that lots of protocol types aren't supported and the thing to do (like
if_ether()) is to just ++noproto and return.

In the case of the hard-core driver development situation, the developer
is probably going to have a more sophisticated debugging environment set
up than these printfs.  The rest of us can use BPF to see all of the odd
and interesting things going by.

And if someone does go ahead with a sysctl variable, are we going to do
the same thing in all of the other interface family input routines, like
if_ether()?

So with my great cannon of knowledge on the subject (10 minutes spent with
TCP/IP illustrated volume II and a couple of peeks at the source :) I vote
for just lopping the statements out altogether unless there is a terribly
compelling reason for leaving them in.

-Chris