Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 2002 11:04:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw userland breaks again.

:How this could be helpful in a remote upgrade scenario that has
:IPFW ABI incompatibility issues?
:
:One alternative approach would be to not compile IPFW into a
:kernel but rather have it loaded as a module.  Then, you
:install new kernel, edit out ipfw_enable=3D"YES" for the time
:being, reboot with the new kernel, installworld, edit
:ipfw_enable=3D"YES" back in, reboot, and you're done.
:
:
:Cheers,
:--=20
:Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA,

    Well, the basic problem is that you don't actually know when the IPFW
    API is going to break.  I do incremental upgrades most of the time
    and IPFW breaks maybe once every 5 upgrades.  So for a manual upgrade
    it can be a severe inconvenience to have to deal with the possibility
    every time you upgrade.  For an automated upgrade one can always
    automate and 'ipfw unbreak' (or 'ipfw open' as John just suggested to me)
    is not needed.

    What this patch does is allow you to upgrade via a serial console
    normally, without having to pay particular attention to IPFW, and
    if the IPFW API happens to break you can then simply 'ipfw unbreak' to
    get access to the network and then fix whatever broke.

    The only viable alternative that I've heard so far on the lists,
    other then 'Matt should rewrite the API so it doesn't break' is to
    have the installkernel and installworld targets check for ipfw
    incompatibility and install the new ipfw.  Of course, this doesn't help
    if you have to revert the kernel.  I still prefer the failsafe my
    solution supplies.

						-Matt