Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 1999 13:38:00 +0100
From:      "Greg Quinlan" <greg@swlct.sthames.nhs.uk>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Network Port Printing

Hi all,

I was wondering if any one could tell me if there is a way of printing to a
specific "port" of an IP address. Something like "lpr" style printing but no
remote machine name. The equipment is not another FreeBSD box but a print
server without lpr capabilities.

ie. IP Address = 10.1.1.1
     Service/Port = 1000

I do not know enough about remote printing to know if this could be achieved
with an /etc/printcap entry. Or if a simple C program could do the same
thing.

Ideally I like to be able to run a command like:

cat - | nprint 10.1.1.1 1000

Where nprint is the filter program to handle output.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Greg