Date:      Sat, 05 May 2001 02:31:32 +0900
From:      JINMEI Tatuya / =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCP0BMQEMjOkgbKEI=?= <jinmei@isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp>
To:        raviprasad20@netscape.net
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: daemon rtsol

> Sending router solicitations is implemented as a daemon.
> Can't this daemon be implemented as a part of the kernel itself & called by the timeout() periodically to send the solicitations.

It could be.  At the first time rtsol was implemented, it was a single
command, which issued only a (limited number of) RS(es).  In other
words, it was a command like ifconfig(8).  The command was then
rewritten so that it could also act as a daemon, mainly to support
nomadic environments.  That was the reason why the command (and
daemon) was implemented in the user space.

> Whether such an implementation is possible?

It's of course possible.  It is usually possible to implement any kind
of kernel stuff which can be implemented in the user space (the
opposite direction is not necessarily true), although it is not
necessarily a good idea, of course.

> Whether such an implementation effects the performance of freeBSD ip6 stack as a whole.

I don't know, but at least I suspect that the kernel implementation
would not improve the performance, since sending RSes are not so
frequent operation.

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.