Date:      Mon, 06 Mar 2000 19:58:04 +0100
From:      Ernst de Haan <ernst@jollem.com>
To:        Akinori -Aki- MUSHA <knu@idaemons.org>
Cc:        sada@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG, noway@nohow.demon.co.uk
Subject:   Re: linux-jdk-1.2.2 ports

--------------5671E40613C47A7D2C611CE7

>   They will be `linux-{sun,inprise,ibm}-jdk12'.  I think we could
> consider Blackdown's one as fundamental and original version of Linux
> JDK 1.2.  Sun and Insprise had just made modifications or enhancements
> over it and IBM had made another implementation, based on Sun's work.

Hmm, I doubt whether IBM bases their work on Blackdown. They have their
own codebase for a lot of operating systems (AIX, AS/400, Win32) and they
have their Linux JDK 1.1.8. And the Blackdown work is based on the code
provided by Sun. And the Solaris patches are still backported to the
Blackdown port. Inprise doesn't have their own JDK port AFAIK.

>   However, `linux-blackdown-jdk12' would be acceptable for me though
> it's kind of too long. :)

Sounds very good to me:

   * linux-netscape47-communicator
   * linux-blackdown-jdk12

The name of the Linux Netscape port is longer :-)

I think:

   linux-{sun,ibm,blackdown}-jdk12

is cool.

Ernst

--
Ernst de Haan
Freelance Java Architect

"Come to me all who are weary and burdened,
and I will give you rest" -- Jesus Christ
--------------5671E40613C47A7D2C611CE7

begin:vcard
n:de Haan;Ernst
tel;fax:+31 (0)26 3645634
tel;work:+31 (0)26 3623895
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.znerd.demon.nl/
org:Jollem
adr:;;Rozendaalselaan 35;Velp;GLD;6881 KZ;Netherlands
version:2.1
email;internet:ernst@jollem.com
title:Java Architect
fn:Ernst de Haan