Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 2002 16:18:05 +0930
From:      Brian Astill <bastill@sa.apana.org.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@lemis.com>, Benjamin Close <cisbjc@cs.unisa.edu.au>
Subject:   Apsfilter/ghostscript problems.

I have FBSD 4.6, and installeded apsfilter 7.2.2  and ghostscript 7.04 from
ports.  I want to get my two printers working - they are an Epson SQ850 and a
Fujitsu DL3300.
Both printers have worked very well in Linux, using gs and the epsonc driver.

(I recently downloaded a Linux "PDQ driver declaration for the ghostscript
driver epsonc" which describes itself as a Fujitsu DL 3300/3400 driver,  so I
know I am not suffering from faulty memory.  However, it requires me to run
"PDQ's new printer setup wizard" whatever/wherever that is.  I'm not sure
whatever might be produced would work in the FBSD environment, anyway.)

Initially I ran apsfilter's setup, selected epsonc as my driver and got the
message "epsonc not available" (or words to that effect), which I did not
believe because "gs -h" clearly showed that driver as present and available.

After a HUGE amount of effort, guided by my friends Greg and Ben, printing
is still only possible from a plain text editor using the lp example in
printcap.

I recently searched most diligently in the gs subdirectories and in the
apsfilter subdirectories and cannot see an "epsonc" anywhere.  "locate",
"find" and "which" all fail, too.  SFAICT epsonc just isn't there - ie
apsfilter was telling the truth.  This helps to explain the lack of success!

I did find an "omni" subdirectory in apsfilter, which contained some
useful-looking drivers, so I ran apsfilter's SETUP again, this time selecting
#195 (SQ850) from the omni drivers.  Apsfilter then told me
" Error: Your gs version doesn't have driver "omni" compiled in...
Select another driver or build a new gs version with complete or customized
driver support."  I don't know how to do this.

I have installed LPRng from the ports in the hope that this might help, but
apsfilter doesn't seem to recognise it, and refers only to lpd.

At this point I am stuck.

Can anyone please help?

--
Regards,