Date:      Mon, 06 Oct 1997 16:36:15 -0400
From:      Richard Scranton <scrantr@ix.netcom.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        mrami@cep.yale.edu
Subject:   Re: questions-digest V3 #461

I've had good luck using the "smbtar" method.  The users store any
files that they want backed up in a particular directory tree, like
c:\u\whatever and share that directory.  The server takes care of
the rest of it, backing them up about 3am every morning to .tar.gz
archives that get rolled to tape for offsite storage.  I know if
a system did not get backed up by looking at the logfile from the
cron submission.  For us, it is easier/cheaper to backup user data
only, rather than the whole PC.  A PC can be reloaded in about the
same amount of time as it could be restored, without using gigs of
backup capacity on the server's disks or tapes.  -rs

> I have a FreeBSD server with DAT which serves, via SAMBA some Win95 PCs
> (currently two, but eventually twelve or so as soon as the full funding
> comes through).  Does anyone have any experience/recommendations about
> different backup strategies?

Richard Scranton - LDA Systems - Information Management Consulting
scrantr@ix.netcom.com  Columbus Cincinnati Cleveland Toledo Atlanta
<http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x8c38c4cf>;