Date:      Sat, 04 Jan 1997 20:50:20 -0800
From:      "Mike O'Brien" <obrien@antares.aero.org>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer), hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, chat@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Usenix FreeBSD BoF when?

>         no form to set one up over the web ;(
>         has to be done at the registration desk

I did that, when I was doing USENIX things.  Very hungry commercial
outfits were trying to schedule BoFs months in advance which amounted
to no more than live infomercials for their products.  I was revulsed
and insisted that BoFs be scheduled only at the conference, to
preserve some semblance of spontaneity.  I borrowed the BoF idea
from DECUS, where it amounts to meetings organized by people around
topics too new to have been scheduled into the regular program...
many regularly scheduled daytime DECUS sessions are (or were) really just
BoFs of long standing.

I did this long before the IETF and its BoFs were a going concern, ditto
Uniforum.

Frankly given the alternative I'm real happy with things as they are
now.

Mike O'Brien