Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 2002 17:07:18 -0400
From:      "Barkell, Bill" <Bill.Barkell@compuware.com>
To:        "'Z. Frazier'" <zfrazier@u.washington.edu>, faSty <fasty@i-sphere.com>
Cc:        Craig Miller <craig@millerfam.net>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: wierdness in my security report

I'm not sure if I'm repeating anything here or not, but it looks like
12.236.220.1 may be a router. If so, it's possible for an attacker to poison
your arp cache to make your machine think the attacker's machine is
12.236.220.1. This would cause the mac address change. Packets for the net
can then be routed thru the attacker's machine, allowing him/her to view
everything.

One must look at mac address changes of the router address very carefully
(and suspiciously).

There are programs available that do this arp cache poisoning (dsniff suite
and others).

Bill Barkell, CISSP