Date:      Sun, 27 Oct 2002 09:12:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Nicholas Kayal <davek@saturn5.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   i am looking for a 5 volt signal

I'm looking for a 5 volt signal.

I have wires plugged into pins 2 and 25 of the parallel port.

I have written a small program:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <dev/ppbus/ppi.h>
#include <dev/ppbus/ppbconf.h>

int main()
{
  int fd;
  while(1)
    {
      ioctl(fd, PPISDATA, 255);
    }
}

and have it executing...

I have a multi-meter with the positive lead touching the pin 2 wire and the negative lead touching pin 25 wire, but i am not registering any voltage.

=(

I am sad.

I have recompiled my kernel to disable plip and enable ppi.  The following is a snipet of my kernel configuration:

# Parallel port
device		ppc0	at isa? irq 7
device		ppbus		# Parallel port bus (required)
device		lpt		# Printer
#
# 2002 oct 27 - removed plip and added ppi.
#
#device		plip		# TCP/IP over parallel
device		ppi		# Parallel port interface device
#device		vpo		# Requires scbus and da

any help would be very much appreciated