Date:      Sun, 31 Oct 2004 13:23:47 -0600
From:      Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org>
To:        cpghost@cordula.ws
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Laptops as routers

cpghost@cordula.ws wrote:

>On Sat, Oct 30, 2004 at 11:38:02PM -0500, Nikolas Britton wrote:
>

>>Here is a better idea!
>>Step 1: Go dumpster diving for old computers (Pentium 1 or better, 8MB
>>IDE Storage Device or better, and a minimun of 48MB/Ram).
>>Step 2: Grab some networks cards wail your in the dumpster.
>>Step 3: Install said network cards into computers.
>>Step 4: Install and configure m0n0wall on said computers.
>>http://m0n0.ch/wall/
>>Step 5: Profit???
>>------------------
>>Total Cost: $0.00
>>

>Well, depending on your geographic location, you may want to
>consider power consumption as the main cost factor here.
>A Soekris box would consume something around 5-10 Watt or so
>on average. Compare this to even the slowest Pentium. Oh, and
>they are absolutely silent as well :-)
>
>-cpghost.

The Soekris boxes are awesome, I'd LOVE to have one, But even with the
power consumption, size, fanless arguments I still cannot justify the
cost ($194 for a net4501-30 Board, Case, and PS) when I have old
computers taking up space in my workshop. Money doesn't grow on trees in
the world of small business.

If you are worry about power consumption or reliability when using old
computers I have some general tips for you:
1. Don't use a storage device that has spinning disks, instead use a CF
card, Zip Drive/Disk, etc.
http://www.cfide.co.uk/compact_flash_ide_adapters.shtml
2. Remove all non-essential components from the system (CD-Roms, Hard
drives, floppy drives, add-in cards, etc) and disable in the BIOS
anything that can't be removed (floppy controller, sound card, printer
and serial ports, secondary IDE controller, etc.).
3. Underclock and/or mount a big heatsink onto the CPU so you can remove
the cpu fan.
4. One 64MB stick of ram uses less power then two 32MB sticks, follow
that logic.
5. Remove some or all case fans because, Heat Isn't an issue unless your
cpu is like 400Mhz+, you will still have the power supply fan for cooling.

CPU (at full load): 30 Watts
Mainboard: 10 Watts
RAM: 5 Watts
3 NIC: 15 Watts
1 Fan: 5 Watts
The Unkown: 10 Watts
-----------------------
Total: 75 Watt Light Bulb

It will take me 3.98 years just to recoup the cost of the net4501.
(g+a)/d/c = h = 34931 (3.98 years)
------------------------------------
a/d/c = e,   be = f,   fd = g

a = net4501-30 Board, Case, and Power Supply = $194
b = power used by net4501 = 0.012kWh
c = power used by oldcomp = 0.075kWh
d = Price (residential) of 1kWh = $0.0859
http://www.midamericanenergy.com/html/aboutus2.asp
e = Number of hours I can run the computer until I spend $194 (the price
of the net4501) in power.
f = How many kWh the net4501 will uses in the same amount of time that
it takes me the spend $194 in power using the computer.
g = The price of those kWh's the net4501 uses
h = How long (in hours) it will take to recoup the cost of buying the
net4501 instead of just using an old computer.