Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 1996 23:24:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      invalid opcode <coredump@nervosa.com>
To:        Paul Traina <pst@shockwave.com>
Cc:        Adam David <adam@veda.is>, Mark Murray <mark@grondar.ZA>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New Dual-personality crypt

On Wed, 28 Feb 1996, Paul Traina wrote:

> I would strongly suggest that users NOT be allowed to select their method
> unless the sysadmin explicitly enables it... and I think a sysadmin would

I strongly agree with this also. a: what do users' care what encryption
algorithim is used, it's not something that will make any kind of
difference for them. b: We could make passwd(8) generate md5 passwords by
default, and have, for instance, a "-e" flag to change the encryption
method; or we could add another file to /etc for instance "passwd.conf"
that has the configuration information stored there. I would opt for
passwd.conf.

== coredump@nervosa.com ================= http://www.nervosa.com/~coredump ==